Elsa Bean

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Curious George
















Bumpa looks a little tired at reading this Curious George episode for the seventh time. I don't know why! With every read the 1950s sensibility surprises me.

The Man in the Yellow Hat has stolen this monkey, whom he names Curious George from the, as he says- jungle. Is he a zoologist? Scientist? Conservationist? I think not. He has a pith helmet on which leads me to believe that he may simply be a recreational traveler, exploiting the environment and capturing monkeys simply because he finds them "cute". He buys George a bicycle (a bicycle!) with the direction, "stay near the house" as he leaves for work. George is inevitably captured by a roaming band of circus performers who exploit him for his bicycle riding talents.

There is a grand reunion with The Man in the Yellow Hat at the end. Give me a break! George never realizes he is being exploited. I don't think Bumpa realizes it either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home